Yoga for Weight Gain (Bonus: Ramdev Baba Yoga Asanas for Weight Gain)
Do you want to know about Yoga for Weight Gain?
Are you looking for Ramdev Baba Yoga Asanas for Weight Gain?
Then you are in the right place. Today we are going to discuss yoga for weight gain, Ramdev Baba yoga asanas for weight gain, yoga benefits, how to do these asanas? etc.
Many people struggle to lose weight while there are many who are teased because they weigh less. Some people join the gym and some simply focus on eating supplements. It definitely helps but burns a hole in their pocket. There are natural ways to gain weight healthily through Yoga and healthy diet.
Generally, people do not gain healthy weight because of poor diet and lifestyle choices, certain health conditions, poor nutrient absorption etc. Weight gain must be healthy, that means one must gain muscle mass, not unhealthy visceral fat. Gaining muscle mass is a result of eating healthy and doing physical activities consistently.
Yoga and Weight Gain Secrets
Many people have a misconception that gaining weight has nothing to do with physical activity or one must refrain from exercising for gaining weight.
Yoga helps in weight gain by increasing appetite. For example; virabhadrasana helps you to build your muscle mass. It provides the body with the requisite energy. Hence, helps in increasing the appetite.
Yoga asanas affect our metabolism and digestion broadly. Stability of mind also plays an important role in our health. It brings hormonal balance and promotes growth. Doing yoga every day balances your mind which helps you lead a balanced and stable lifestyle.
You can gain weight by gaining fat, but that will not help you in a long run. An increase in lean body mass i.e muscle mass is very important for gaining weight. (1)
Let us see in this post, the best yoga poses for weight gain.
Yoga Asanas for Weight Gain
Listed below are some popular yoga asanas one can perform for gaining weight (2):
1. Supt Baddh Konasana
It is the cobbler pose or bound angle pose. This must be performed on an empty stomach. If you consult a professional yoga practitioner, s/he will recommend you to perform yoga early in the morning. A morning yoga session helps you stay refreshed and energetic during the entire day. This is the best yoga for weight gain for women.
How to do
- Lie straight on the ground and bend your knees.
- Bring your feet together and put your heels close to the groin.
- Palms must be pressed downwards next to your hips.
- Exhale ensuring that your abdominal muscles contract. Hold this position.
- Quickly inhale and exhale again.
- Repeat this.
It strengthens the back, digestive system, and reproductive system.
Commonly known as the cobra pose, Bhujangasana is an extremely beneficial exercise for the stomach. It helps in improving digestion and fight the stomach or digestive problems. When your tummy is healthy it helps in improving your overall health and gain weight. This is one of the best yoga for weight gain.
How to do
- Lie down on your stomach
- Lift your chest up by placing your palms under the shoulder and legs on the floor.
- Keep your eyes gazing forward.
- It resembles a serpent with its hood raised and hence called Bhujangasana.
It strengthens your spine, chest area, and abdominal region. It increases body heat. Helps in digestion and the activeness of the body.
The Sanskrit word Matsya means fish and asana is pose or posture which together makes it a Fish Pose. This asana helps in improving the flexibility of your body and a good exercise for your stomach, back, and neck. Make sure your bowels and stomach are empty before performing this pose.
How to do
- Lie down on your back. Keep your legs together and your hands placed comfortably beside your body.
- Bring the elbow closer to each other placing them close to the waist.
- Cross your legs. Breathe in and lift your chest up such that your head is also lifted up and your crown touches the floor.
- Hold the position. Breathe normally. Exhale and release the position.
Strengthens the back, spine, digestive and reproductive system. It relieves your fatigue instantly.
Vajrasana is a sitting posture but you can perform this as an asana. It is one of those yoga poses which you can perform even after lunch or dinner. This is the best yoga for weight gain for males and females.
How to do
- Kneel down by stretching your lower legs back and keeping them together, your big toes must cross each other.
- Gently lower your body and let your hips rest on your heels, things on the calf.
- Place your hands on knees and gaze forward. Pay attention to your breathing.
Helps in digestive issues like constipation. Also strengthens the muscle of the legs and back.
Here is an informative video from Fit Tak on Yoga for Weight Gain
5. Surya Namaskar
Sun salutations, it is a sequence of asanas performed one by one. It is equally beneficial to lose weight as it is for gaining weight. Perform at least 12 sets of Surya Namaskar daily in the morning and you would feel the difference in one month.
How to do
- Prayer and Raised Arms Pose – Stand on the yoga mat keeping your feet together. Also, keep your hands together in a prayer pose. Stretch your whole body by raising your arms and exhaling.
- Hand to Foot Pose – Bend forward while breathing out, keep your spine erect. Bring your hands down to the normal position by exhaling.
- Equestrian Pose – Push your leg back while breathing in, as far back as possible. Look up while bringing your right knees towards the floor.
- Stick Pose – Take the left leg back as you breathe in. Bring your body to the straight line and keep your arms perpendicular.
- Eight Part Salute – bring your knees towards the floor. Slightly move your hips back, and rest your chin on the floor. Raise your back portion a little bit.
- Cobra Pose – Slide forward and raise your chest up in the cobra pose. Look up while keeping your elbows bent slightly. Inhale and push your chest forward.
- Mountain Pose – Lift the hips by breathing out and make an inverted V by bending.
- Equestrian Pose – Breathe in and bring your foot forward, keep it between your hands, left knee should be down on the floor, keep your hips down. Keep your right foot between your hands by looking up and right calf down the floor, push your hips down.
- Repeat the steps of hand to foot pose and raised arm pose again as mentioned previously.
For a detailed description read: How to Do Surya Namaskar: 12 Steps with Pictures, Benefits & Mantra
- Improves blood circulation,
- regulates the menstrual cycle,
- glowing skin,
- lustrous hair
- improved digestion.
Wind-relieving pose or wind removing pose. This also helps in reducing bloating and gain healthy weight.
How to do
- Lie on your back in a relaxing position.
- Bring your legs closer to each other.
- Bend your knees and hold it with your hands pressing it towards your abdomen.
- Breathe out as you lift your head and touch the knee with your chin.
- Breathe in as you stretch your legs outward.
- Repeat the steps by holding the position for a few seconds.
Improves digestion, reduces belly fat.
It is the mother or the queen of all the asanas. It is a very powerful asana that helps you to ease the complexities of your body.
How to do
- Lie down on your back, move your legs together and arms by your side.
- Lift your legs, hips & back and support your body with elbows.
- Move your elbows closer as you settle yourself in that position.
- Keep your spine erect and legs straight. Do not support your body on the neck or head.
- Keep your legs firm and point your toes upwards.
- If you feel any kind of strain on the neck release the position.
- Lower your knees and bring your hands to the floor to release.
It strengthens your spine, back and shoulders, helps in better digestion.
Basically a backbend asana. It is also called a wheel pose.
How to do
- Lie down on your back.
- Bend your knees and keep your soles firmly on the floor close to your hips.
- Place your hands behind your shoulder.
- Put your weights on your limbs, press your feet, arms and lift your entire body from the floor.
- Let your head and neck hanging down.
- Breathe and relax.
Makes your spine flexible. Strengthens the abdominal muscles.
It can be called the warrior pose. The pose has been taken from mythological character Shiva pose.
How to do
- Spread your legs and stand erect. Keep your right foot in front and the left one behind.
- Turn your right foot outwards making an angle of 90 degrees. Lift your arms laterally up to the shoulder level.
- Your arms must be collaterally towards the ground and your palms must be upwards.
- Bend your right knee and exhale.
- Turn to the right. Stretch your arms outwards and join your palms.
- Hold the pose and feel yourself as a warrior keep your looks very confident and determined. Inhale and exhale by relaxing down.
Makes your thighs, shoulders, calves, and back strong.
Shavasana or corpse pose is done at the end of the yoga poses to relax your body and mind.
How to do
- Lie on a flat surface.
- Make yourself comfortable and don’t use pillows.
- Close your eyes, keep your legs apart.
- Relax your whole body.
- Keep your palms open and facing upwards.
- Breathe deeply and slowly.
- Take your attention to every part of your body one by one starting from the right foot to the top of your head.
- Stay like this for about 10 to 12 mins.
It helps to rejuvenate the body, mind, and spirit. As you breathe deeply, the stress of the body is released. Helps to relieve back pain and improves posture. It gives a deep rest to the spine. It can be done after any high-intensity workout to cool down the body.
Foods for Weight Gain
These were some of the poses of yoga that helps you in gaining weight. If we talk about food then there are several food products that help you to gain weight. Eating a healthy and balanced diet definitely helps you gain weight at proper places.
- Protein smoothies. Preferably whey protein. Have some of the homemade protein smoothies. These have high nutrition factor and can add to your weight quickly.
- Milk –It can be normal milk or almond or soy milk.
- Nuts and also nuts butter. For example, Peanut butter is a very good source of protein.
- Sweet Potatoes.
- Salmon and Oily Fishes.
- Protein supplements.
- Dried fruits.
- Whole grain bread
- Healthy cereals like oatmeal, granola, bran etc.
- Cereal bars.
- Dark chocolate
- Whole eggs
- Full fat yogurt
- Ghee or Clarified Butter
Eat more calories than you need that’s the basic secret of weight gain. Lifting weight is important so that you can use the calories for building muscle. Take the above foods in your meals.
Tips to Gain Weight
- Eat healthy calories. Don’t change your diet drastically but add calories slowly.
- Don’t eat junk foods but go for a nutritious diet.
- Snack on nuts and dried fruits.
- Eat mini meals.
- Don’t drink water before meals or else you will feel full.
- Eat more often but eat healthily.
- Use bigger plates.
- Take weight gainer shakes.
- Get quality sleep.