14 Yoga Poses to Stop Hair Fall & Promote Hair Growth
Yoga is the ancient Indian way of exercise which is also aligned with breathing patterns. This technique calms mind and tones body. But do you know there are certain asanas in Yoga which also helps in the growth of your hair? In this post, I have listed Yoga Asanas for Hair Growth and how to do them.
What is Yoga?
Yoga is a spiritual and physical discipline that originated in ancient India. Yoga involves simple meditation, breathing exercises, and specific body postures.
14 Yoga Asanas for Hair Growth
Longing for long, beautiful and luscious locks? Fret not, for we have you covered! Below are 15 easy yoga asanas for beautiful, long and silky hair!
1. Kapalabhati/Frontal Lobe Cleansing
How to do Kapalbhati
- Sit in a crossed leg position while keeping your back, neck and head straight.
- Place your hands on your legs and relax all your muscles.
- Inhale deeply and express all the air out while exhaling.
- Inhale and exhale up to 15 times. This is the first set.
- Increase the routine of inhalation/ exhalation for up to 30 times. This is the second set.
- For the third set, continue up to 60 times.
- You may take breaks between each set.
Kapalbhati is also helpful in weight loss. Also Read: 25 Yoga Asanas for Weight Loss
2. Adho Mukha Svanasana/Downward Dog Pose
How to do Adho Mukha Svanasana
- Start on your hands and feet with your knees and hands touching the ground. (1)
- Keep your hands perpendicular to your knees and shoulders.
- Straighten your legs by pushing the hips out and stand on your toes.
- Push the floor with your palms and straighten your spine.
- Pull your hips down slowly and come back to the starting position.
Also Read: How to do Suryanamaskar?
3. Sarvangasana/Shoulder Stand Pose
How to do Sarvangasana
- Lie on your back and breathe deeply.
- Then raise your legs slowly until they point towards the ceiling.
- Rest your body on your shoulders and the back of your neck.
- Place your hands at the center of your spine and support your body.
- Always keep your legs and spine straight.
- Concentrate on your thyroid gland and breathe deeply.
4. Uttanasana/Forward Bending Pose
How to do Uttanasana
- Stand with your legs close. (2)
- Taking a deep breath, lift up your hands while you exhale.
- Bend forward and touch the floor with your hands.
- Hold your hands behind your heels if you can.
- Stay in this forward bending position for a few seconds while breathing normally.
- Stand back straight while taking a deep breath.
Read More: Yoga For Beginners
5. Sirsasana/ Headstand Pose
How to do Sirsasana
- Invert your body and balance your body at the base of the head.
- Support your head by placing your forearms behind your neck.
Read More: Yoga For Back Pain
How to do Vajrasana
- Kneel down on the floor with your spine kept straight and heels together.
- Put your hands on your thighs, palms facing down.
- Relax and take deep breaths for 1 minute and then stretch your legs forward.
Read More: Yoga for Thyroid
7. Sasangasana/Rabbit Pose
How to Sasangasana
- Stand on your knees and bend forward so that your head is close to your knees.
- Touch your feet.
- Hold and continue again.
Here is an informative video from Ventuno Yoga
8. Apanasana/Knees to Chest Pose
How to do Apanasana
- Lie on your back and pull your knees in towards your chest while exhaling.
- Move your legs up with the strength of your thighs.
- Hold this position for a few seconds.
- Inhale and let your legs move away from your chest.
- Close your eyes and try to relax your mind.
9. Ustrasana/Camel Pose
How to do Ustrasana
- Kneel down.
- Bending backward, touch your feet with your hands.
Read More: Yoga for Eyes
How to do Uttanpadasana
- Lie down on the floor with your arms resting on your sides.
- Stretch the legs and lift them up from the floor
- Simultaneously lift your head and torso up from the floor so that your body is balanced on your hips forming a V shape.
- Hold this posture for a minute and return to the starting position.
11. Pavanamuktasana/ Wind Relieving Pose
How to do Pavanmuktasana
- Lie down and inhale deeply.
- Move one of your legs towards your chest and fold.
- With your hands hold the folded leg close to your chest.
- Exhale slowly.
- Relax and put your leg back to its resting position.
- Inhale and now fold your other leg.
- Repeat the above steps.
Read More: Yoga for Skin
12. Balayam Yoga/Hair Exercise
How to do Balayam Yoga
- Curl your fingers inwards so that the point towards your palm.
- Bring your hands together so that the nails of all the fingers are in contact with each other.
- Rub them vigorously for 5 minutes.
- Don’t use the thumbnails for this exercise.
Read More: Health Benefits of Yoga
13. Anulom Vilom Pranayama/ Alternate Breathing Exercise
How to do Anulom Vilom Pranayama
- Sit in the Lotus Pose and place the thumb of one hand on one nostril and fold the index finger.
- Keep the ring finger straight so that it can be used to close the other nostril.
- Inhale deeply through the open nostril, close it with the index finger, open the other nostril and exhale through it. This makes 1 cycle.
- To begin the next cycle inhale through the same nostril that you exhaled out of and repeat the breathing process.
14. Matsyasana/Fish Pose
How to do Matsyasana
- Lie on your back while keeping your body straight.
- Bend your knees inwards slowly, such that your elbows touch your palm.
- Putting pressure on your elbows, stretch as much as you can and push your stomach upwards.
- Hold this position for at least 30 seconds.
Benefits of Yoga for Hairfall
Yoga is a healthy, safe and natural way to promote hair growth without the use of harmful medicines. It helps relieve stress and promotes good blood circulation. Yoga poses massages the scalp, strengthens the roots and nourishes the hair. It also promotes a healthy balance between the body and mind, thereby preventing further hair loss.
It is also important to eat a healthy diet along with Yoga Asanas. Your diet should be rich in Protein and Vitamins. Refrain from eating junk foods and sugary drinks. Also, keep oiling your hair from time to time with healthy coconut, castor, and almond oil. Avoid harsh shampoos and coloring on your hair.