Yoga for Constipation | 7 Yoga Poses, How to Do & Benefits
Is Yoga for Constipation Effective?
Which are the best Yoga Poses for Constipation?
You might be thinking about these questions when you hear about Yoga and its power to get rid of constipation. In today’s post, I will tell you about 7 powerful yoga poses for constipation.
How do you know that you have Constipation? Every day in the morning time you face difficulty in pooping. It is not the only symptom of Constipation. Irregular bowel movements, spending more time on the toilet seat are the signs your body is giving you that somethings not right with your bowel.
The right diet, regular exercise, and a good lifestyle can definitely solve this disease. There are some yoga asanas which helps in easing the pressure every morning. In this post, we have listed 7 Yoga poses for Constipation.
How is Yoga Helpful for Constipation?
Yoga, the art of deep stretches, rhythmic breathing and fluid movements, has long been found to alleviate the symptoms of constipation. Yoga helps relieve stress that can gradually clear the digestive tract and through inversions of the body aid peristalsis, which can further aid in a regular bowel movement. Along with Yoga Asanas, there are many home remedies for constipation which you can try. (1)
7 Yoga Poses for Constipation
Listed below are some yoga poses to help you get rid of constipation – (2)
1. Downward Facing Dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana)
This pose helps relieve build-up in the digestive tract by stretching the whole body. It is one of the 12 asanas of Suryanamaskar.
How to do Downward Facing Dog Pose
- Start by being on all fours.
- Tuck your toes under and straighten your legs.
- Push down through your palms.
- Keep your feet hip-width apart with your arms a bit wider at shoulder-length.
- Bend the knees very slightly.
- Hold for 10 deep breaths.
2. Pawanamuktasana (Wind Relieving Pose)
Just as its name suggests, this pose helps in relieving bloating and releasing any wind in the digestive tract. Pavanamuktasana is also one of the best Yoga Asanas for Back Pain.
How to do Pawanamuktasana (Wind Relieving Pose)
- Lie flat on your back with both legs stretched out.
- Slowly bring the right knee up into your chest.
- Hold with both arms for 20 breaths.
- Stretch it back out again.
- Repeat with the other side.
- Then draw both legs into the chest and hold to complete the stretch.
3. Supine Twist(Supt Jathara Parivartanasana)
How to do Supine Twist (Supt Jathara Parivartanasana)
- Lying on your back, bring your legs to your chest.
- Extend your left leg out.
- Draw your bent right leg to the left across your body.
- Keep your shoulders flat on the floor.
- Look toward the right.
- Hold, and then switch sides.
4. Child’s Pose (Shishuasana)
Child’s Pose is also very helpful for Glowing Skin.
How to do Child’s Pose
- Start by sitting on the floor with your knees spread to a bit more than hip-distance apart.
- Keep your feet tucked under you with big toes touching.
- Lean forward and place your hands in front of you, move forward till your forehead is touching the mat.
- Hold while breathing deeply.
Here is an informative video from Ventuno Yoga
5. Halasana (Plow Pose)
Halasana is also one of the good Yoga Asanas for Thyroid.
How to do Halasana (Plow Pose)
- Lie flat on your back.
- Place your arms your body with your palms facing downwards.
- Inhale, and lift your feet off the ground using your abdominal muscles.
- Keep Your legs at a 90-degree angle.
- With the help of your hands support your hips and lift them off the floor.
- Bring your feet in a 180-degree angle, such that your toes are placed over and beyond your head.
- Make sure your back is perpendicular to the ground.
6. Matsyasna (Fish Pose)
Matsyasana also helps in promoting hair growth
How to do Matsyasana (Fish Pose)
- Begin by sitting.
- Bend your left leg and place your left foot on the ground over your right knee.
- Bend your right knee and tuck your right foot near your butt.
- Place your right elbow near your left knee and twist your body, looking over your left shoulder.
- Hold, and then switch sides.
7. Crescent Twist (Anjaneyasana)
Anjaneyasana is very helpful in Weight Loss.
How to do Crescent Twist
- Standing straight up, go down into a lunge with your forward foot over your knee
- Keep your back leg straight and balanced on the ball of your foot.
- Place your hands in prayer position and twist down towards the bent leg.
- Put your arm on the outside of the bent leg for support.
- Hold for 10 deep breaths and switch sides.
With these easy to follow yoga poses, relieve the irritating symptoms of constipation and enjoy a healthier, happier and clearer digestive system!