Walking to Lose Weight : 10 Benefits of Walking, Tips and Techniques
Many people choose walking as a form of exercise because it is the easiest and does not necessarily require a gym. Though it is an easy exercise, it can help in reducing weight if done with a right technique. Gymming, Weight training has become famous nowadays, many people believe that we cannot lose weight without a gym, but it is a myth. Walking when practised properly engages almost all our body parts and muscles. Walking is an awesome cardio exercise. Let’s see in this post how walking can be done to lose weight. This post walking to lose weight includes walking techniques, Warm -up and stretching exercises required for walking, a walking plan and benefits of walking (1).
Can You Lose Weight By Walking?
Absolutely Yes. Walking is one of the easiest and best exercises to lose weight. If you practice regular walking you will start getting the results in 3-4 weeks. Walking should be done at a good pace rather than a leisure walk. When you walk at a good pace it stimulates your body to burn fat resulting in shedding the excess fat from the thigh, stomach region. So when someone asks me the question does walking helps you lose weight? I have only one answer A BIG YES 🙂
Walking to Lose Weight Tips :
1. Things Required to Start Walking:
The basic things required to start walking are good shoes, a napkin and a good playlist on your phone. Good quality shoes are the most important because walking puts a lot of pressure on your legs and feet. I advise my readers to go for branded shoes because they are tested for the pressure, comfort for your feet etc.
2. Plan Your Route:
If you are walking outside gym you must know the route very well to avoid traffic and bad roads. If there are parks nearby you, you can walk there. When you know your route, you exactly know how much distance you will walk, approx calories you will burn and how much time you will need for the walk. This will help you to plan better and achieve your walking for weight loss goal quickly.
3. Choose Appropriate Surface:
The walking surface is preferred to be flat terrain, smooth, straight or easy path with minimum traffic. You can also opt for some inclined routes or steps as a variation. If there is any nearby beach you can manage to go for walking, it is the best option.
4. Make an Exercise Playlist:
Make a playlist which will motivate you to walk more when you want to quit. Motivation is very important in achieving any goal and music can help you keep motivated.
5. Make a Plan Setting a Reasonable Expectation:
Plan your walking sessions week wise. It will help you see your progress on paper by checking actual time and distance covered versus expected.
6. Hydrate Yourself Well Before Walking:
Walking may cause you sweating and your muscles can get dehydrated so, drink a good amount of water before you start walking. The best time for walking is early in the morning.
7. Never Forget to Warm-up:
Warm up is required to avoid injury and sudden load on your joints. Body rotations followed by stretching should be done before starting to walk.
8. Maintain proper posture while walking:
Improper posture while walking can cause pain and injuries to your muscles. It can cause more damage than doing good to your body. Keep your spine erect, shoulders broad and head straight while walking. Keep your hands straight or slightly bent while walking.
Walking to Lose Weight Types of Walking :
Walking is a kind of exercise that can be done by people from any age group. Look at your parents and grandparents, they are slim because they used to walk/ still walk a lot compared to us. In today’s world walking has taken a shape of dedicated exercise for weight loss. The increased use of vehicles, busy lifestyle has resulted in less walking time and we need to practice walking for weight loss as an exercise. There are many types of walking by which you can lose weight, what type you choose should depend on your fitness levels (2).
1. Brisk Walking :
In brisk walking, the body posture is same as normal walking but you need to walk at a faster pace. The pace should be at least 5 Km/hr. But you can walk a bit faster than you walk usually. The motive behind brisk walking is to push your limits. If you walk normally you will not lose weight, weight can be lost through sweat and breathing as a result of the brisk walk. If you are walking for weight loss, walk fast. This type of walking can be chosen by beginners.
2. Power Walking :
Power walking is a bit faster than Brisk walking . 8 to 9 km/ hr is the pace of power walking. You can go for power walking when your fitness levels are good. You can replace jogging with power walking sometimes, it will put less pressure on your joints, bones and ligaments. Try running to lose weight if you want quick results.
Walking to Lose Weight Warm-up and Stretching :
As mentioned above, a warm-up is very necessary before you start walking. A very basic warm-up is recommended before starting walking. Have a look at these warm-up exercise set.
1. Body Rotations :
Rotate your neck, wrist, shoulders and ankles in both clockwise and anti-clockwise directions for 3 to 5 times each. It will loosen your muscles.
2. Swaying Legs :
Take some support from a wall and sway your anyone leg in forward and backward directions for 3 to 5 times. Repeat with another leg.
3. Tadasana :
Stand straight with equal weight on both feet, take both your hands up together above your head and stretch your body up by standing on your toes. You can try some of these yoga asanas as warm-up exercises.
4. Stretching Backwards and Forward :
Keeping both your hands up bend backwards and forwards for 2-3 times.
5. Stretching Sideways :
Keep your hands in a horizontal position (parallel to the ground) and turn left and right for 3 to 5 times.
6. Stretching Up and Down :
Keep your hands in a horizontal position (parallel to the ground), legs apart and try to touch your hands to your toes in a cross.
7. Spot Jogging :
Do jogging at the same place for 3 to 5 minutes.
8. Jumping :
Jump at a mild pace at your place for 5 to 10 times. Skipping is a very good exercise which involves jumping.
9. Walk at a Slower Pace :
Before starting your actual walking, start to walk slowly for 3 to 5 minutes
Walking for Weight Loss How to Plan :
Planning is an important stage in achieving any goal. Make a weekly and monthly plan, decide route, time, the distance you would cover etc. Increase the intensity week on week basis to get better results.
- Start your walking with an achievable goal. Do not keep over expectations from yourself but also don’t underestimate yourself. For example, start with 1-2 km or 20 minutes walk in the beginning.
- Slowly increase the distance covered at the same time. Try brisk walking to lose weight.
- Switch the walking surfaces at regular intervals e.g Once a week walking on an inclined surface or on beach or grass etc.
- Taking your own time include brisk walking and power walking alternately. E.g 5 minutes Slow walk, 5 mins brisk walk and 5 min power walk and 5 minutes walk on inclined surface/treadmill. You can change the combination as per your requirement.
- Keep increasing time and distance up to 45 minutes to 1 hour. Once a week try power walking to lose weight.
- Always include progressive overloading in your walking sessions to give new stimulus to your muscles.
- Never walk at the same pace, same time and same distance for a long period of time. You will never lose weight through walking then.
- Occasionally plan some strength training exercises once or twice a month to strengthen your muscles.
Walking to Lose Weight Plan :
Here I have given you an ideal walking plan to lose weight. You can modify the activities as per your fitness goal.
Benefits of Walking :
- The very first benefit of walking is that it can be done by anyone irrespective of age, weight etc.
- It does not necessarily require a gym facility.
- You can explore new places with exercising.
- It strengthens bones, joints and muscles.
- Improves mood, balance and coordination.
- Helps prevent stroke and other cardiovascular problems.
- Helps to maintain blood pressure. Helps in diabetes and boosts immunity.
- Walking helps reduce overeating.
- Helps inadequate absorption of nutrients in the body.
FAQs on Walking
1. How to Lose Weight By Walking?
Ans: It is simple! First of all, make a good Walking to Lose Weight Plan. Equipe yourself with all the required things like shoes, hairband, armband etc. Walk at a good pace so that you sweat. Sweating helps you lose weight. Follow the plan without any excuse or procrastination and within a month you will see good results.
2. Is Walking A Good Way to Lose Weight?
Ans: Yes, walking is a simple and one of the best ways to lose weight. The best thing about walking is it does not require any special facility like strength training. Walking in a park or ground early morning helps you get fresh air which helps in improving your health. Follow the instructions in this post and you will surely lose the excess fat.
3. How Much Weight Can You Lose By Walking?
Ans: It depends on person to person. For an overweight individual to lose 5 Kgs in a month you need to burn 175-200 extra calories. Keep an average speed of 7 km/h and walk for 45 min per day.
4. How Many Miles Shall I Walk to Lose Weight?
Ans: The distance doesn’t matter, what matters is your speed to cover the distance. If you walk slowly no matter how much distance you walk you will not lose weight. Do a brisk walking, as explained in the above question if you want to lose 5Kg in a month walk for around 45-50 min per day with a speed of 7km/h.
Hope this post on walking to lose weight will help you to improve your walking techniques and achieve your weight loss goal. Write to me regarding your experience and your secret tips if any 😉