7 DIY Turmeric Face Masks for Flawless Glowing Skin
Beauty routines have been prevalent among humans since the times immemorial. The skincare techniques followed by the ancient beauty Cleopatra, is, perhaps the most discussed. There are pieces of evidence that show the skin lightening foundation being used in the Elizabethan era. People are obsessed with taking good care of their skin and would go lengths to achieve the same. The cosmetic industry has seen waves of change in the past two decades alone. However, people have come to realize the importance of natural ingredients in this field. Today we will discuss DIY turmeric face masks and their benefits for the skin.
The benefits of certain natural substances like turmeric, coconut oil, sea salt, honey, saffron, etc. are well-known to beauty enthusiasts. Formulations claiming to contain a high concentration of these ingredients are abundant in the marketplace as well.
However, home remedies are the most trustworthy in this regard. They contain no artificial compound that could prove to be harmful to the body in the future. Turmeric is the most sought-after among these ingredients due to its therapeutic, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and other specific properties.
Common skin problems
The changing environment has brought about a series of skin issues and allergies along with it. An increase in pollution, excessive metal contents in cosmetics, lifestyle changes, and hormonal imbalances due to food habits have created problematic conditions for the skin. Some common skin problems are:
- Eczema- itchy and red rashes that can occur anywhere in the body
- Sunburn- the destruction of the upper layer of the skin due to excessive exposure to the sun
- Severe acne- comedones formed by building-up of dead cells around skin pores
- Aging skin- changes in the skin texture due to the increase in age
- Melasma- formation of dark patches around face, neck and upper lip
Though there are medical treatments available for all these problems, they come with specific side effects that are unnecessary. Hence, people prefer natural ways of beauty treatment. The easy availability of this wonder ingredient favors its use among people. It is considered an inside-out beauty ingredient since it can deliver the benefits both when ingested as well as by external application (1) (2).
Benefits of turmeric for skin
The well-known beauty secrets of turmeric have been passed on to generations for many centuries. They are vital ingredients in most rituals followed in Asian countries, especially in India. Turmeric is considered sacred, and hence, it has an exceptional place both in cosmetics and in cooking practices. Some of the most sought-after characters of turmeric are:
- Anti-inflammatory nature- this property helps in managing conditions like blemishes and eczema. It reduces itching, swelling, and irritation of the skin. It is due to the presence of compounds called curcuminoids.
- Antiseptic property- the chemical constituent, curcumin, has antiseptic properties that make it an essential component of homemade antiseptics. It helps in controlling conditions like acne, cysts, nodules, pustules, and papules by preventing the spread of bacteria.
- Lightening agent- turmeric is a lightening agent and thus helps in treating dark circles. Also, turmeric stimulates the blood circulation, thereby reducing the puffiness of the eye. Regular use of turmeric for about four weeks has shown to reduce hyperpigmentation by nearly 24%.
More turmeric benefits
- Antioxidant- This is a vital property of turmeric that is being used in the treatment of wrinkles and aging skin. It penetrates the cell membrane of the cells and improves its functioning by eliminating the free radicals in the system. This will also help in preventing the onset of disorders like hyperpigmentation, scars, etc.
- Hydrating effect- dry skin can be managed by turmeric since it possesses hydrating and revitalizing properties.
- Improves skin texture- this property of turmeric makes it useful in treating fine lines and wrinkles. This is one reason why turmeric is an essential component in anti-aging creams.
- Anti-mites’ property-studies have found the effectiveness of turmeric in treating scabies, which is caused by microscopic mites (3).
Turmeric Face Masks
Face masks are one of the most rejuvenating beauty routines available. It leaves the skin refreshed and glowing most of the time. With the right ingredients, face masks can do wonders for the skin. Adding turmeric to these face masks can enhance their effectiveness. Following are some natural homemade face masks containing turmeric:
Skin type/ problem: For uneven skin texture and skin tone
1 tbsp plain yogurt, 1 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp turmeric powder
Mix the ingredients in a bowl until it forms a smooth paste. Apply on the face and keep it for 10 to 15 minutes. Rinse with cold water.
How it works
Turmeric has the skin toning property, which helps in maintaining texture. Also, the lactic acid content in yogurt smoothens the skin surface.
Skin type/ problem: For acne and blemishes
1 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tbsp manuka honey, ½ tsp Dead sea salt
Mix the ingredients well to form a thick paste. Apply to skin and leave it for 10 minutes. Wash thoroughly with a mild soap.
How it works
the anti-inflammatory nature of turmeric helps to fight itching and redness. The acne is controlled by the antibacterial properties of both turmeric and manuka honey. Dead sea salt keeps the face clean and reduces inflammation.
Skin type/ problem: For oily skin
1 ½ tbsp sandalwood powder, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, 3 tbsp orange juice
add these ingredients together and mix well. Apply on the face and wash after 10-15 minutes.
How it works
turmeric helps to reduce sebum production that causes oily skin. Orange juice is a cleansing agent, and sandalwood acts as an astringent to keep the face feeling fresh.
Skin type/ problem: For glowing skin
1 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, 1 ½ tbsp honey, 1 tbsp milk/yogurt
add the turmeric powder, apple cider vinegar, and yogurt in a bowl. Mix well till you get a paste-like consistency. Wash your face and pat dry. Apply the face mask and leave it for 15 minutes. Rinse with cold water.
How it works
turmeric has antioxidant property that helps to fight the free radicals of the system. This will keep the skin feeling young and glowing.
Skin type/ problem: For acne
2 tbsp turmeric powder, 1 tbsp rice flour or chickpea flour, 2 tbsp yogurt/milk, 1 tbsp honey
add the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. After getting the required consistency, apply the paste on the face, and keep it for 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse with a mild face cleanser and apply a moisturizer.
How it works
along with turmeric, honey has both anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties that help to fight acne head-on. Honey also acts as a humectant that will keep the skin supple and smooth. This is one of the best face masks that will help you get rid of acne and maintain healthy skin.
Skin type/ problem: For smoothening the skin
2 tbsp of flour, 1 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tbsp almond oil, 3 tbsp milk
Mix the ingredients in a bowl. Blend well till you obtain a smooth paste. Apply on the face and leave it for 15 minutes. Wash thoroughly using a mild cleanser and pat dry.
How it works
almond oil helps to remove the stain from turmeric and keeps the skin smooth. The anti-inflammatory property of turmeric helps to manage the irritated skin. The high concentration of Vitamin E helps to clean the surface.
Skin type/ problem: For sensitive skin
1 tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp aloe vera gel, 1 tsp rose water
Mix the ingredients in a bowl. You will get a runny mixture that has to be applied on the face. Leave it for 10 minutes. Wash the face with a mild cleansing agent.
How it works
turmeric and rose water have anti-inflammatory properties that soothe irritated skin. Aloe vera gel helps to reduce the redness and irritation of the skin.
Since all of the above face masks contain turmeric, they might leave a yellow stain on your face even after washing well. However, this color is temporary and will be removed in a day or two. You can also avoid getting this stain by applying a light oil before the application of the mask. User a face mask about three times a week for the best results. The ingredients can also be changed according to the specific needs of the person.
Precautions to take while using the turmeric face mask
Though turmeric has a bundle of benefits to its credit, it might be the wonder ingredient for everyone. There are a few concerns related to turmeric use that one has to consider before using it.
- Turmeric tends to leave a yellow stain on the face even after washing it with mild soap. It might take 2 to 3 days to altogether remove the color.
- It has low bioavailability. Hence, it might be required to replenish the amount in your system at regular intervals until you achieve the results.
- Some people might develop an allergic reaction to turmeric, causing redness, itching, and swelling.
To avoid any allergic reactions to turmeric, it is mandatory to perform a patch test before using a face mask containing turmeric. It involves applying a small amount of paste (for the cover) on your arm and leaving it there for a day. In case no allergic reaction is observed, you can proceed with the face mask. Do not use the mask in case you experience redness, itching, or swelling or any other reactions on your arms.