Skipping For Weight Loss
Is Skipping for Weight Loss really effective? Can skipping alone help you lose weight? How much do you have to jump rope to lose weight? Can you lose weight by skipping every day? These questions were on my mind when I decided to start skipping. In younger age, I used to play this as a game, at that time the thought of losing weight through skipping was far from me. But the young girl in me still enjoys skipping. So let’s see in this post how skipping can help us lose weight (1).
What is Skipping?
Skipping is a very popular cardio exercise like walking and an easy activity to pursue. It involves the usage of a skipping rope or jump rope where two or more participants use the rope and hop on it. Skipping can also be done alone, by getting a grip on both ends of the rope and jumping at one place. The rope has to be swung so it goes over the head and the legs, and the same step is repeated (2).
Where Did Skipping Originate?
It may have originated in England or China, where its ropes were first made with hemp. Skipping also has his its remains dated back to Ancient Greek where a pole was held by two people and jumped on by another. It is a great way to exercise and is also supported as a sport. There are various organizations around the world that take skipping as a serious sport. It also includes the usage of different types of ropes, as per the convenience.
Right Skipping Technique
Skipping, however, needs to be carried out in a proper way to obtain optimum results. Maintain your spine in an upright position, keeping your shoulders aligned forward with your eye. Grab the rope from both ends using both your hands and jump the length of your knee to skip the rope. This gives proper training to your Calf muscles and further tones it. Also, if you are skipping in motion, move your body in the direction of skipping sideways. Make sure to keep stretching your legs in close contact with your chest by all means.
Which Muscles Are Involved In Skipping?
Skipping involves a whole lot of work of your muscles and also involves footwork, stamina, and energy. The exercise also targets a lot of muscle groups. The upper and lower body are both engaged while skipping a rope, and the exercise gives a boost to the cardiovascular health of your body. Your body’s agility, endurance, coordination, and strength are all improvised by skipping. Your Calves, Hamstrings and Tenor muscles are accentuated with the skipping exercise on your lower body and the back and chest too, are given a boost to your upper body.
A full body revamp ensures you stay fit and healthy. Skipping also accentuates your height and is a great way to get taller during a child’s growing stages. Your wrist and hand action also get a boost with the immediate and strenuous action of rope. With great work also comes the obvious calorie burn. Since this is an easy way to shed those extra kilos, an average skipping routine can burn several calories in your body, depending upon your weight and the speed with which you skip the rope. If you can maintain a proper routine, the average skipping exercise can help you shed some good weight in weeks’ time. A person weighing an average of 160 pounds can burn up to 730 calories in an hour’s time of Skipping.
Warm Up For Skipping
Before you carry on with Skipping, always make sure to do some warm-up exercises. These help in loosening your muscles and avoid any cramps or muscle pulls during the exercise. Warm up exercises like Neck and Wrist rotations, Body Stretching and Rotation, Spot jogging and low-intensity Skipping can be done for the same purpose.
- Move your body by standing in one position and Twisting it from one side to the other to start with the Stretching.
- Follow it up by Stretching your hands and touching your feet. Repeat it for a set of 10.
- For Spot jogging, stand in one place and start Jogging. You would not be moving but you would be able to carry out the activity similar to running and jogging. This would give you the same benefit as the former.
- You can then start with some low-intensity Skipping where you follow the same method as Skipping, but only by not straining your body to that extent.
- Also, do not miss your pre-workout meal before starting the exercise.
These light exercises do not expose your body to a lot of strain and let you loosen up in no time. The simple exercises can be done in a span of 7 to 10 minutes, after which you can go forward with your skipping.
Skipping for Weight Loss Variations
You can practice skipping by allowing variations in your routine. These variations save you the boredom of one way and let you have some fun while you exercise. Some variations of Skipping that you can try are as follows:
Running to skip is a good way to involve all your muscles into the exercise. It helps to burn some extra calories and gives a boost to your stamina as well. Skipping for weight loss is one of the best cardio exercise.
How to do:
- To carry out this method, get two friends to hold your skipping rope.
- Run towards it and make a jump, and repeat the process.
- The rope should pass under one foot at a time.
- Keep alternating the steps.
- This helps in giving an additional boost to your overall routine.
- The excess workout is a great way to start your day.
2. Jumping Jacks Jump Rope
Jumping jacks are the most common variations involved in skipping. They provide good results on a regular workout session and should be followed religiously for best results.
How to do:
- To carry out with the jumping jack, jump over the rope and land with your feet with a width apart length.
- In your next turn, land with your feet together.
- Keep alternating the steps for a minute or so till you get the hand of the exercise.
3. Double Jacks
Double jacks are very similar to jumping jacks. However, in this routine, you have to ensure passing both your feet twice through one turn of the rope instead of once. This variation provides added benefits for your health as it inculcates double the workout. Calories are immensely burnt if this is practiced on a regular basis. Practice the double jacks for one whole minute. Lose your belly fat by practising skipping for weight loss.
This is a great variation and is used widely for Skipping.
How to do:
- To go ahead with the slalom, use your rope and jump up to 6 inches on the right on both your feet.
- In your next turn, jump 6 inches to the left, Keep repeating the alternative steps till you get tired.
- Make sure to keep both your feet intact for a proper flow of workout.
- Practice the slalom for a whole minute or two for added benefits.
5. Front Back
This is also a preferred variation by many Skippers. One of the best variations in skipping for weight loss routine.
How to do:
- To carry out the front back, jump on your rope moving forward by jumping up to 6 feet.
- In your next turn, jump up to 6 feet backward.
- Jump once every turn and continue altering for the best results.
- Practice the front back for a whole minute or so till you get tired.
- Take adequate rest before you start off another variation.
Skipping Schedule to Lose Weight
A proper skipping routine should be followed regularly to see proper results.
- This would require you to include at least 10 minutes of a proper Skipping routine in your daily life. This routine would involve the warm-up exercises, the different variations of skipping and the rest you would take after straining your body throughout. This would help you to work on your muscles and give yourself the respite of having worked on yourself for a better tomorrow.
- Follow skipping for weight loss routine for 4 weeks to see proper results.
- Calories would be burnt on a regular basis, but you would also have to ensure that you maintain a balanced diet, devoid of junk food for a healthy and fit lifestyle.
- Following the routine for at least a month would help you shed some good weight.
- This is also better than hitting the gym, as it saves you time and money as you strive hard towards giving a proper shape to your body.
Skipping also acts as a great warm up in itself and should be meticulously followed.
Precautions to Keep in Mind While Skipping
While skipping can be fun and a great way to lose the extra kilos, you need to keep the following points in mind while you go through this exercise,
- Do not overdo the exercises. It is one thing to dedicate yourself to working out but it is another to strain yourself to an extent where you might be exposing your body to a lot of stress. Keep your skipping routine to a minimum of 10 minutes and maximum 20 minutes (with some rest in between) a day, and not more.
- Make sure to warm up before carrying on with the skipping exercise. You need to make sure that your body loosens up before you go forward with skipping. If not done properly, you might experience a muscle pull or cramp on any part of your body.
- Take ample rest before you start off with a new variation. As much as you like to continue with your exercise, take rest for a minute or two before you opt for a new variation. Also, ensure that you do not try the variation in the wrong way as it can cause side effects instead of working for your benefit.
- While skipping will help you in being fit, make sure that you maintain a balanced diet and drinks lots of water before and after your skipping exercise. This helps in a proper circulation of your blood and loosens your muscles too in the process.
Make your skipping exercise fun and easy by following the above-mentioned ways and variations. Keep the precautions in mind for sure for a proper workout session. It takes a good amount of dedication to strive for what you wish to achieve and if do not see yourself as a quitter, this would be the fastest and easiest way to go about achieving your goals. Buy a skipping rope as per your needs and get accustomed to the exercise to follow a beneficial routine on a regular basis. Inculcate this healthy exercise in your daily lives and see the difference today with a revamped lifestyle and a healthier you. Try skipping for weight loss if you haven’t till now.