How Ghee Can Help You Lose Weight
Many of us have a common belief that if we are planning to lose weight we should reduce or completely remove ghee and other fatty foods from our diet. We think that we already have so much fat in our body, why to increase the amount. This attitude is a result of the fears and fads that we have bought from the west. Recent scientific researches have proved that Ghee or Clarified butter works wonders for us. It is no hurdle in our weight loss regime instead, it is weight-loss friendly food. This post is written for explaining the how part. After reading it you will definitely wonder how beautifully this ancient food preserves our health (1)(2)(3).
What is Ghee and How to Make It?
Ghee is the Fat content of milk which is rendered from butter. It is done to separate milk solids and water from Butterfat. Homemade Ghee is best because you are sure about the source of milk and there is no adulteration(4).
How to make Ghee?
Step 1: Collect the cream of milk every day for about 15 days to 1 month and freeze it.
Step 2: When around a kilo cream is collected bring the cream to room temperature and churn it till the whey is separated and turned into butter.
Step 2: Heat the white butter and heat it on a low flame.
Step 3: Once you see the base of the vessel turning brown, add a pinch of salt as per taste.
Step 4: Once ghee comes to boil, switch off the gas and let it cool for some time.
Step 5: When the ghee is still in liquid form Strain it and your homemade Ghee is ready.
Difference Between Ghee and Butter and How Much Ghee Should You Eat?
The quantity at which the taste of food is best is the right quantity. For example, preparations like Puranpoli needs more ghee than dal-chawal. 3-5 tsp a day is a good start.
Nutritional Facts about Ghee:
Ghee comprises short, medium and long-chain fatty acids, which means it contains saturated and unsaturated fats. Ghee, when prepared from cow’s milk has the highest natural source of conjugated linoleic acid. It also contains essential vitamins A, E and K. It has Omega-3, Omega-6 and Omega-9 Fatty acids (8).
How Ghee Supports in Weight Loss?
The Omega-3 and Omega-6 present in ghee Fatty acids which is helpful in losing weight. Also, Omega-9 helps in increasing the lean body mass of our body. Ghee helps in mobility of fat cells for burning it into energy (9)(10). It ensures the better assimilation of fat-soluble vitamins and is well known to reduce the Glycemic Index of the entire meal. Ghee is most potent antioxidant on earth because of its high smoke point. It is one of the best foods for weight loss.
Here is an informative video from Rujuta on how Ghee can help you lose weight.
Miraculous Benefits of Ghee:
- Boosts Immunity: The Fat-soluble vitamins present in ghee helps in boosting immunity. Vitamin A, K and E are well known to boost immunity.
- Helps in treating Cancer: Antioxidants present in Ghee helps in the treatment of cancer. I never knew it was so healthy.
- Reduces inflammation: Butyric acid present in ghee helps in reding inflammation particularly in the gastrointestinal tract.
- Improves digestion: It helps the stomach lining grow faster and reduces the overall glycemic load of the food resulting in good digestion.
- Gives Healthy skin and eyes: Vitamin A and E present in Ghee make it very healthy food for skin and eyes.
- Relieves bloating: Rubbing ghee on your soles before going to sleep can relieve you from bloating and morning farts.
- Prevents over-eating: When ghee is added to any meal it reduces its glycemic load, increases taste and aroma, makes us feel fulfilled yet light. In this way, it prevents s from overeating.
- Good for joints: All the good fats in ghee is good for our joints and also prevents feet swelling caused by sitting for long hours.
- Removes bad odour from the mouth: Apply ghee before going to bed and after getting up in the morning. It cures the problem of stinking mouth.
- Cures Hangovers: 1 tsp of ghee with rock salt in the morning along with warm water is very helpful in curing hangovers.
- Reduces cholesterol: When you see the nutritional facts about Ghee, you find that it is high in cholesterol. So, how can it help in reducing the same? Here is the answer, Ghee reduces cholesterol by increasing the contribution of lipids to metabolism. Our liver produces excess cholesterol under stress. Ghee helps us de-stress.
- Makes your heart healthy: Vitamins, antioxidants and essential fats are just what is needed for a healthy heart and ghee have it all.
Other Uses of Ghee:
- Application of Ghee on top of the head with slight massage helps disappear a headache or Sinus congestion.
- Massage Ghee inside your nostrils prevents depression, snoring and trouble sleeping.
- Massage Ghee on your Soles to sleep like a baby.
- Whenever you eat any heavy meal load it with ghee to reduce glycemic index.
- If you want to enjoy deeply fried food guilt-free, deep fry it with ghee. It prevents polymerisation within Fatty acid chain and restricts the harmful effects.