21 Best Exercises to Increase Height
The height of a person is basically decided by the genetics. By doing exercise and stretching you can spice up your flexibility and it offers plenty of space for your cartilages to expand and grow.
Being tall not only make you look great but also it increases your persona. If you plan to increase your height try the below daily exercises to increase height (1).
Article Information: This article is medically reviewed by Dr. Roderic Brooks.
Average Height of Indian Men and Women
Over the past century, ladies grew tall by 4.9 cm on a mean, whereas men grew taller by simply 2.9 cm. The average height of a girl is currently 152.6 cm (5 feet), which of a person 164.9 cm (5 feet four.9 inches). You can read more about Ideal Height Weight chart for Adults.
Foods to Increase Height
Though the body height is decided genetically, it’s commonly known fact that growth depends on some external factors as well. They are exercise, nutrition etc. Mostly the height problem is faced by people who do not get adequate nutrition.(2).
You will want a diet that consists mainly of meat and dairy products such as milk, eggs, cheese, and yogurt. Calcium is the most important thing you will need for bone growth which is present in dairy products.
Tips to Increase The Height
- Consumption of dairy products
- Getting proper sleep
- Engaging in sports and exercises
- Maintaining a balanced diet
- Drinking plenty of water
For more such tips, go to link tips to increase height.
Stretching Exercises to Increase Height
Swimming can prove to be really beneficial for the growth of your body. When a person swims every muscle of the body is used. Swimming is an exciting activity because of the variety of swimming styles.
Freestyle, Breaststroke, Butterfly Swimming are some of the very best swimming style and exercises. If you want to start with one try Breaststroke. It is one of the best swimming exercises because it helps in stretching your body ligaments and tendons.
Increasing height cannot be achieved overnight. It requires time and effort. Apart from increasing height swimming has many health benefits, you can read thes in my post health benefits of swimming.
Before you start swimming, please ensure that you eat something light. You can try these pre-workout foods. Engage in 10 minutes intense stretching exercise or warm-up exercises.
2. Bar Hanging
Swinging on a height vertical bar will increase your height by itself by one even a pair of inches. With hanging exercises, gravity would facilitate pull your spine to elongate it.
These exercises can strengthen the wrists, arms, and shoulders. it’ll conjointly stretch and lengthen the whole spine.
Bar droop onto a high bar with each your feet off the bottom for as long as attainable. Begin with twenty seconds and increase as your arms grow stronger. Let your body droop fully straight, together with your toes inform to the ground. (If the bar is just too low, bend your knees till your feet clear the ground.)
Steps to do Bar Hanging
- Put your head between your arms, therefore, your ears square measure ahead of your skeletal muscle, and try to squeeze your shoulder blades along.
- Hang for ten seconds, drop off the bar and take a 10-second breather, then droop for ten seconds once more.
- Increase your droop time once some sessions to twenty seconds with a 15-second break.
- Basically, attempting to stretch on the bar for around 5-10mins. Take a clear stage if you’re feeling tired.
Jumping exercises are basically fun and it helps in growth of our bones. It will also make the legs stronger.
Steps to do Jumping
There are two types of jump basically.
- It is to jump up onto a bench and jump back off. These will be rapid jumps.
- Each jump will last less than one second.
- Do 10 jumps and then rest 30 seconds.
- It is to jump as much high as you can. These are intense and requires more resting.
- Do a jump and rest 5-15 seconds based on your fitness level.
Skipping rope is one simple exercise. It helps in increasing the blood supply and exerts pressure on the long bones of the body like Femur, Tibia etc to grow in its length. Skipping is also one of the best cardio workouts.
Steps & Precaution To Take While Doing Skipping
- Never try to skip fast from the beginning. When you try any exercise do it at a slow pace and then increase it step by step. When you start skipping build up a rhythm, try to achieve a goal of 6-7 minutes of continuous skipping, for best results.
- In skipping the entire weight is supported by your leg joints. Be aware not to do skipping on any concrete surface or grass and uneven surfaces. It’s best to perform skipping exercise on ground or wooden floor.
- Some people get a short rope or a very long rope to do skipping. Short rope can create a problem by restricting your movement and you can fall down and get injured. A long rope, on the other hand, can exert more pressure on your arms and irregular rhythm. Get a 9 feet rope if you are anywhere between 4’0″-5’6″ feet. If your height is Above 5’6″ you can get a 10 feed rope.
5. Surya Namaskar
The Surya Namaskar is one amongst the simplest exercises that individuals will perform. The Surya Namaskar is performed early in the morning facing the morning rising Sun.
Sun salutation is comprised of 12 steps.Every step has its own posture (including position and form) with its own respiration pattern (inhalation or exhalation) and its own mantra.
The advantages accruing from these exercises are distinctive and wonderful. Properly performed Surya Namaskar impacts and influences all 5 sheaths – the body, the breath, the mind, the intellect and also the blissfulness.
Steps to do Surya Namaskar
- Stand facing East (the direction of a rising Sun) with palms folded-up in a namaskar mudra.
- Slowly raise your hands upward. Keep your feet firm on the ground. Now bend a slight backward so as to feel stretch in your stomach region, hands, neck etc.
- Gradually bend forward through your waist. Try to touch your hands to the ground and head to your knees. Make sure your legs are not bent. No worries even if you are not able to touch ground fully but do not bend your knees.
- Set both the hands with the palms down firmly on the ground. Pull your left leg back to feel stretch in your thigh region and left the side of your body. Raise your head up so as to look at the sun. Feel the stretch in your neck region. Keep the fingers of your both hands and fingers of your right leg in one single line.
- Slowly bring your right leg back near to left leg. Bend the body at the hip forming an arch, a bit like a mountain, called ‘parvathasan or the mountain pose’.
- Stretch yourself completely on the ground with the Saashtanga Namaskar pose. Your hands will be by your side, nose touching the ground, chest slightly up.
- The 7th step is a cobra pose. Keep your hands firmly on the ground with legs in straight line. Your upper body will be in a cobra shape. Feel the stretch in your abdominal muscles.
- Get into the parvatasana pose same as depicted in the image below.
- Same as Step 4 with the difference that the right leg is brought forward.
- Come in the pose same as step 3 where your hands will be touching the ground. Make sure your legs are straight.
- Straighten up your back and bend slightly backward same as step number 2.
- Come back to the starting position as shown in the image below.
6. Wall Stretch
Wall stretch basically helps in expanding the spinal column.
Steps to do Wall Stretch
- Stand up against a wall and reach your hands as high as you’ll be able to while staying on the tip of your toes.
- Check that your spine remains flat against the wall while holding the position for about four to six seconds.
- Compared to different stretching exercises to extend height this is often slightly difficult owing to the requirement to hold the spine straight against the wall.
7. Super Standing Stretch
It is one of the simplest and best exercises from all others. It’s a good all spherical grow taller stretching exercise that helps to increase your spine. The Super Stretch will be done standing up or lying down as a result of this stretch is straightforward and comfy.
Steps to do Super Stretch
- You have to stand straight.
- Take your both hands up & reach as far as you can.
- Then, Lean back slightly to extend the stretch further. After few seconds, you will feel the stretch at the lower part of the spine.
- Each repetition should last between 6-10 seconds.
8. Standing Toe Touch
Standing toe touch helps to stretch your spine and keeps it flexed to the most extensive. You will not be able to bit your toes at the start; however, you’ll come through it through regular practice. Moreover, toe touching may facilitate to extend your flexibility by stimulating the muscles in your back and calves. Therefore, you must often perform toe touching exercises to increase overall height and suppleness.
Steps to do Standing Toe Touch
- Standing with your hands high above your head, bend over and touch your toes.
- Keep your legs as straight as possible. Make sure you don’t bend your knees as much as possible.
- Each repetition should last between 2-3 seconds.
9. Forward Jump Squats
Jump Squat increases the power, strength, and endurance to the full lower body and it is a great exercise for height increase. Before acting jump squats, you must inform yourself with basic takeoff and landing position, correct jumping technique and therefore the mechanics of making an engrossing force.
Steps to do Forward Jump Squats
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, weight on the heels.
- Bend the knees and lower the upper body until thighs to form the squat position
- Initiate the jump and jump high as much as you can.
10. Seated Toe Touch
As like standing toe touch, this is also one the basic stretch exercise which helps in increase of height. Initially, you may not be able to touch your toes but it can be achieved in practice. It is a basic hamstring stretch. The exercise sounds boring, but it is very beneficial for the whole body stress, thereby boosting your growth hormone to produce more.
Steps to do Seated Toe Touch
- Start by sitting on the ground with your foot extended straight.Keep your back straight.
- Start bending aiming towards your toes and keep the position for 10-30seconds.
- Relax before the next repetition.
Full Body Exercises to Increase Height
11. Pelvic Shift
This exercise targets the spine and lower hips and is taken into account one of the foremost effective exercises for increasing height.
Steps to do Pelvic Shift
- To perform this lay flat on your back together with your palms bent on the edges.
- Keep your legs bent and slowly push your pelvis upward.
- Hold the pose for twenty to thirty seconds.
12. Dry Land Swim
One of the foremost common stretching exercises to extend the height, all you need could be a concrete floor or a durable base that may support your weight adequately.
Steps to do Dry Land Swim
- Begin by lying on your stomach. Slowly lift one arm like a swimming stroke, but without allowing it to touch the ground.
- Continue by raising the opposite leg in a controlled manner and holding the position for not less than five seconds before reverting to the original position.
- Repeat the process with the other arm and the opposite leg. Make sure that both arms and legs never touch the ground unless when going back to the original position.
- Repeat at least five times per arm and leg pair for about three sets with minimal rest in between each set. Gradually increase the holding time until you can comfortably do it in 20 seconds per position.
Badminton can really help you to increase your height if done on a regular basis. It helps in promoting the growth hormones in the body and improves the leg strength.
14. Cat Pose
This pose provides a gentle massage to the spine and belly organs.
Steps to do the Cat Pose
- Sit down in Thunderbolt Pose, raise the buttocks and stand on the knees
- Lean forward and place the hands flat on the floor beneath the shoulders with the fingers facing forward
- The hands should be in line with the knees; the arms and thighs should be perpendicular to the floor
- Do not bend the arms at the elbows, keep the arms and thighs vertical throughout.
- Inhale, raise the head and depress the spine
- Exhale, arch your back, bring the chin to the chest
- Repeat this movement for 10 times
15. Table Top
This is an efficient however slightly troublesome exercise for height increase, and it needs lots of practice to try and do perfectly. However, this stretching exercise works wonders for increasing height. It conjointly helps in firming the rear muscles and spine.
Steps to do Table Top
- Sit on the ground along with your legs stretched ahead, and your palms placed on the ground close to your hips.
- Press your hands and feet into the bottom and raise your body up to create the shape of a table.
- Keep your arms straight and feet bend at the knees.
- Keep this posture for twenty seconds and come to the beginning position.
- Repeat it a pair of to three times.
16. Leg Kick
Repeated kicking helps lengthen the shin and thigh bone. Repetitive stress forces the bones to lengthen the body.
Steps to do Leg Kick
- Just extend out your leg and do a quick kick
- It should not go higher than 2 feet off the ground.
- Each kick will last about 15 seconds.
It is basically done in standing position. It increases the flexibility of the backbone.
Steps to do Downhill
- Stand with your legs together.
- Keep the arms behind you.
- Bend down as far as possible as you slowly swing your arms as high as possible behind you.
- Each repetition should last for about 4-6 seconds.
18. Bow Down
It is also a simple stretch exercise which is effective to increase the height. It strengthens your abdominal muscles and back muscles eccentrically.
Steps to do Bow Down
- Stand with your hands on the hips and bend forward as much as possible.
- Make sure not to bend your knees.
- Each repetition should last for 4-8 seconds.
19. Spot Running
Spot running helps in increasing the growth hormone released into your blood and also allows your whole body to grow. The process is quite straightforward and can be performed just about anywhere including home, work or outdoors.
Steps to Spot Running
- Start running on the spot keeping your back straight.
- Try to bring your knees as high as possible.
- Do running for a good 1-2 minutes initially and increase gradually.
20. Basket Ball
Playing basketball has a pretty high impact in increasing the height. As it involves lots of jumping and the entire jumping can lead to height growth. The pituitary and thyroid gland nerves are responsible for growth, which are connected at the feet gets stimulated with jumping.
Running will definitely help in boosting the height of a person. It is one the best way to stress your leg bones and increasing the blood flow. It should be done regularly for better results. And the intensity and speed should be increased gradually.
All these exercises can help you in increasing the height along with a balanced healthy diet and proper sleep. Good luck and grow taller!