Apple Cider Vinegar Weight Loss | Why & How It Works (Study Results)
Is Apple Cider Vinegar for Weight Loss really effective?
How to Lose Weight With Apple Cider Vinegar?
Such questions might come to your mind when you hear about Apple Cider Vinegar and its health benefits. Today we will discuss what is apple cider vinegar and how to use apple cider vinegar for weight loss.
Apple Cider Vinegar has become very popular nowadays. It is because of the plenty of benefits it offers. Right from Skin, Hair to Weight loss, it is the solution to so many problems. This post we have written about, how Apple Cider Vinegar is beneficial in Weight Loss.
What is Apple Cider Vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar is a kind of vinegar made from apples, sugar, and yeast. It is made with a two-step fermentation process. The apples are first cut and then mixed with yeast which converts the sugar in them to alcohol.
Next, acetic acid bacteria is added to convert the alcohol into acetic acid. Traditionally, apple cider vinegar takes up to a month to process, but with modern manufacturing processes, it can be made within a day. (1)
The active ingredient of this vinegar is the acetic acid which constitutes around 5-6 % and the remaining is water with traces of other acids like malic acid. A tablespoon of this miracle liquid contains around 3 calories.
History of Apple Cider Vinegar
Vinegar is one of the oldest fermentation processes known to man and was made from wine. It was first made around 2500 BC by an ancient nomadic tribe. (2)
Since then its medicinal uses have been well-known and has been used for a wide range of ailments including dandruff and tooth-ache. In the first world war, it was used to treat wounds. Ancient Persians have been known to drink it to aid in weight loss.
Acetic Acid for Fat Loss
Acetic acid dissolves into acetate and hydrogen in the body due to it being a short chain fatty acid. It has been known that vinegar aids in weight loss
Here is an informative video from Deborah Moraa
Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits
Listed below are some benefits:
1. Lowers Blood Sugar Levels:
Acetic acid aids the liver in better absorbing sugar from the blood
2. Improves Metabolism:
Consumption of acetic acid has been known to increase the levels of 5′ adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase (AMPK), which further promotes to the faster burning of fat. This is one of the main reasons why Apple Cider Vinegar promotes weight loss.
3. Decreases Insulin Levels:
Insulin to glucagon levels have been found to have been reduced when acetic acid was consumed for a prolonged time and this was also have found to reduce fat levels. It is best for Diabetics.
4. Suppresses Appetite:
Drinking acetic acid half an hour before meals activate the hunger centers in the brain and suppress hunger.
5. Reduces Fat Storage:
Vinegar stimulates the genes responsible for fat storage & weight loss and helps in accelerated burning of fat.
Read More: 21 Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar for Weight Loss Study Results
A study conducted on humans has shown some extraordinary effects of apple cider vinegar for weight loss and body fat.
In a 12-week study conducted on 144 obese Japanese adults, great improvements were found in their metabolic rates. The test subjects consumed either 1 tbsp (15 ml) of vinegar, 2 tbsp (30 ml) or a placebo drink every day. They continued their usual diet and daily activity but were only asked to stop consuming alcohol.
Those who consumed 1 tbsp of vinegar showed the following results:
- Weight Loss: 1.2 Kg
- A decrease in Body Fat Percentage: 0.7%
- Waist circumference decreased by: 1.4 cm
- A decrease in Triglycerides: 26%
Those who consumed 2 tbsp (30 ml) of vinegar showed the following results:
- Weight loss: 1.7 kg
- A decrease in body fat percentage: 0.9%.
- Waist circumference reduced by: 1.9 cm
- A decrease in triglycerides: 26%.
Those who had the placebo were found to have increased kgs and their waist circumference was found to have slightly increased.
So, consuming 1 to 2 tbsps. of vinegar per day can help reduce weight, decrease body fat percentage, lower belly fat and lessen triglyceride levels.
In addition to this, metabolic rates have been known to increase. This is the only human study that has shown positive results in weight reduction.
Another study conducted in mice fed with a high calorie & fat diet has found that vinegar rich diet helps in better fat control.
Other Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
- Helps relieve oxidative stress.
- Rich in antioxidants like polyphenols, apple cider vinegar helps reduce oxidative stress, inhibits lipid peroxidation, and increases the levels of antioxidant enzymes and vitamins.
- Helps control blood sugar levels.
- Vinegar increases glucose absorption and enhances carbohydrate metabolism.
- Help treat cholesterol.
- Chlorogenic acid found in apple cider vinegar prevents the bad cholesterol from oxidizing, hence helping reduce cholesterol levels. It can be consumed along with Cholesterol Lowering Foods.
- Inhibits tumor growth and prevents cancer.
- Increased vinegar ingestion is associated with decreased risk of oesophageal cancer, decreased growth in leukemia cells and has shown to have anti-tumor effects.
- Prevents infections and is anti-microbial in nature.
- Dilute vinegar helps treat ear infections and helps prevent bacterial growth.
How to Include Apple Cider Vinegar in your Diet
Following are the steps to include Apple Cider Vinegar in your diet:
- Use it as a salad dressing with olive oil and some fresh greens.
- There are many Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits for Skin.
- Use it as a preservative medium to pickle vegetables.
- Consume it mixed with water every morning before breakfast to flush out toxins.
- Apple Cider Vinegar is also very beneficial for hair.
- Add apple cider vinegar to your morning smoothie.
- Consume this vinegar with lemon juice and ginger as a digestive tonic.
- Get rid of lactic-acid build up in your body by mixing it with your post-workout drink/water.
Apple cider vinegar has a lot of health benefits and while synthetic consumable forms of vinegar may have the same benefits, apple cider vinegar is a natural source. Like most other healthy alternatives, apple cider vinegar should not be consumed more than 2 tbsp per day.